The history of Egeskov – a castle built for defence
Have you ever wondered how the more than 450 year old castle got its name? The castle was built in the middle of a lake and legend has it that the oak tree foundation required an entire forest.
The magnificent building radiates tranquillity and idyll today, but it was originally intended for defence. The complex consists of two longhouses linked by a thick double wall.
If the castle was attacked, the plan was to surrender one building and then continue fighting from the other. The outer wall features a series of embrasures and machicolations, allowing the defenders to attack their aggressors with boiling water or tar.
A number of clans have lived at Egeskov over the years. It was sold to Henrik Bille in 1784 and has remained in the possession of his family ever since.
In 1975 the owners restored the castle banqueting hall, and from 1986 onwards, tourists have been able to visit both this hall and many of the other rooms in the castle.