Gyldensteen castle was first mentioned in 1409 as a farm called Enggaard owned by the nobleman Niels Thomesen. For centuries the castle has been owned by several different noble families until it 1719 was acquired by a French nobleman, J.H. Huguetan, who was accepted into the Danish nobility under the name Gyldensteen and has been owned by the family ever since. The present castle was built in 1640 on an embankment surrounded by water. The castle can only be seen from the street.