©  Photo:

The Old Little Belt bridge

Take a walk over the old Little Belt Bridge and enjoy the beautiful view of the city, the strait, and the beech forest on the Hindsgavl Peninsula.

In the past, the Little Belt has been a marsh area. But during the Ice Age, the strait was formed. This includes the vertical 40-meter-deep wall in the clay, which is extremely popular among divers today. Around the time of the Three Years' War, a tunnel solution under the strait was discussed, but it didn't materialize. It wasn't until the 1880s, when a steel bridge was successfully built across the Limfjord, that interest arose in a bridge connection over the Little Belt. In 1899, a proposal for the bridge connection between Middelfart and Fredericia was put forward in the Folketing. The proposal was once again rejected due to the rapid development of steam ferries. It wasn't until 1923, when infrastructure bottleneck problems arose in Strib, where the railway traffic to Fredericia departed, that plans were put on the table for a double-track railway bridge. Under the influence of motor organizations, reportedly the FDM, it was possible to include roadways in the bridge planning and construction, and the restructuring of the railway network began in 1925.

The Old Little Belt Bridge as a tourist attraction
In 2015, Bridgewalking opened on the Old Little Belt Bridge, and it has proven to be a major tourist attraction with thousands of visitors. However, it is not the first time that the Old Little Belt Bridge has framed a tourist success. It also did so during its construction. The construction, which ended with the bridge's inauguration in 1935, became a major tourist attraction - one of Denmark's largest at the time. Kiosks, guesthouses, restaurants, etc., were established in Middelfart. Growth followed such construction. There were boats sailing from the harbor in Middelfart with tourists who wanted to see the construction. Many nicknames were used back then, and one of the boatmen was thus called "Blondematrosen" because his wife had a lingerie shop.

Opening
On May 14, 1935 (exactly 80 years before the inauguration of Bridgewalking), the bridge was opened with a royal visit. There were 50,000 visitors, and the king arrived sailing with the "Dannebrog."

On the same day, the first of the DSB's red express trains, which crossed the bridge and cut the red ribbon, was inaugurated. In the train were 850 prominent guests. They stood on the train in Middelfart, where a new railway station had also been built in connection with the restructuring of the railway network.

Along the railway line, there was a procession on Brovejen, which was also established in connection with the bridge construction. There had been some controversy about whether the merchants would miss out on turnover if the road was laid outside the town. But an extension of the main road was the solution, as it is still known today.

Facts
1178 meters long
57 meters high
Cost: 32 million for construction
Clearance height: 33 meters
Built: 1925 - 1935