20 Landporten (The Town Gate)
Landporten dates back to Christian III’s major construction work in the mid16th century. The Town Gate assumed its present form in 1666 under King Frederik III. With its 40 metres it is Denmark’s longest barrel vault. Until 1869 it was the only public access to the town by land, and it was closed each evening until the next morning.
The Town Gate was protected by the cannons on the Crown Prince’s bastion and by the rampart that lay before it. In 1764 the wooden bridge in Lindeallé (the approach road to the Gate) was replaced by an embankment.
The trees in this lane were planted in 1806.