Gudme Church was dedicated to St. Lawrence during the Catholic era and is considered one of the oldest churches on Funen. Only the large nave, constructed of rough ashlar, remains from the original Romanesque church.
In the Gothic period, the original Romanesque choir was demolished and rebuilt to the full width of the nave. In 1589, according to Bishop Jacob Madsen's visitation report, there was a stork's nest on the gable of the choir. From the same period, the church's vaults and the imposing tower at the west end of the church originate. However, the robust buttresses at the corners of the tower are from a more recent time.
The porch on the south side of the church was built in 1603 and is currently used as a mortuary chapel.
All the vaults in the church were decorated with lime-painted ornaments and figures in 1488. On the west wall of the church interior, there is a large lime painting depicting St. George's battle with the dragon.