Experienced the feeling of freedom along the southern coast of Fyn
The Bjørge family from Norway had the complete experience during their self-made bike holiday to Fyn in the summer of 2019 - including unpredictable weather, flat bike tires and broken spokes. We wondered….do they still recommend a family bike holiday on Fyn to others?
Initially, the married Norwegian couple considered Fyn as an interlink between the East and the Western parts of Denmark and not exactly a bike destination.
However, as Erlend, 51, had heard and researched about a holiday on bike, he got his wife Charlotte, 52, on board. They decided to explore it for themselves. They loaded up their car with bikes, hammocks, and light equipment and set off towards Middelfart where their bike holiday began.
- We, as a family, have biked a lot and had considered going on a bike holiday for many years. Fyn appeared to be a nice and well-organised destination for their first family holiday on bike, says Charlotte Bjørge, whom with her husband, Erlend, highly recommend Fyn as a destination for bike holidays.
Would you recommend a bike holiday to other families?
- Yes, definitely! You get closer in touch with everything, and you meet a lot of nice people. You experience the feeling of freedom, you are active on the daily and your body’s level of stress reduces. In its entirety, the whole trip in the countryside and along the sea was a huge experience, which we will not forget. Many beautiful and well-kept farmhouses, beautiful flowers along the country roads, hollyhocks, castles, beaches, and much more.
Along with their son, Casper, 13, they biked around Fyn for six days and had only booked their first accommodation, which they had been assisted in finding through the tourist office in Middelfart. There, the car was to stay as they continued to explore Fyn on two wheels. The plan was to travel about 50 kilometres a day.
The route took them from the Hindsgavl peninsula in Middelfart, down the southern coast of Fyn, and out on a spontaneous detour to Avernakø with subsequent stops in Nyborg and Kerteminde before jumping on the train towards Odense.
- In its entirety, the whole trip in the countryside and along the sea was a huge experience, which we will not forget. Many beautiful and well-kept farmhouses, beautiful flowers along the country roads, hollyhocks, castles, beaches, and much more.
As the Bjørge family had not planned accommodation for the entire trip in advance, they had the freedom of being spontaneous and make decisions according to the weather conditions.
- We wanted the freedom to be able to choose where to bike and how far we would cycle on the daily and not be restricted by reservations made in advance. We opted for B&B, Airbnb, campsites and hammocks in the outdoors where we planned to book accommodation with one or two days in advance depending on the weather.
- Of course, the weather is a disadvantage. The Danish summer weather can be unstable and unpredictable, but as long as you are prepared and aware of it, then it becomes a part of the complete holiday experience.
According to them, it takes more than one bike puncture and some unsteady weather to deter them from biking.
- It's not difficult at all. It was a wonderful feeling of freedom to take the trip one day at a time and spend the time you wanted both to bike and explore different places along the way. It was also wonderfully easy to take the bikes on the train. There were well-established signposts along the way and it was easy to find our way.
Are you going to do it again?
- Yes, we do have plans. We will probably prepare a little more for the accommodation options on the chosen route or in the area where we should cycle.
Did you know....
According to VisitDenmark, after completing their holiday, 75% of those foreign tourists on bike will actively recommend holidays to friends and family, and 53% of foreign bike tourists have already been recommended by friends, family, and acquaintances to go on a Danish bike holiday. Therefore, when bike tourists have good experiences on the Funen bike routes, it encourages others to do the same.